18th August 1981.
View looking west along Tong Road. The Lyric Cinema is seen on the left, while on the right are the rears of houses on Southfield Mount and Cricketers Terrace. The Lyric opened on 9th December 1922 with a showing of 'The Three Musketeers' starring Douglas Fairbanks. After closing and re-opening twice in the late 1970s it finally shut down on 1st December 1988, the last film being 'Good Morning Vietnam'. It has recently been converted into a church but in September 2011 temporarily re-opened as a cinema for a series of events as part of a Heritage Programme in conjunction with the making of a film by Lucy Skaer entitled 'Film for an abandoned projector'.