27th February 1941.
View shows the burnt-out remains of the temporary Alwoodley Council School at the corner of King Lane and Nursery Lane following a fire which completely destroyed the wooden structure. No-one was hurt as most of the pupils had gone back in the afternoon to find the school ablaze. The few pupils and staff remaining on site managed to get out safely after the fire spread quickly, believed to have been started by a spark from a combustion stove. The pupils were afterwards accommodated in classrooms across the field at Allerton High school until two more wooden huts were constructed for them, each housing two classes divided by a large two-sided blackboard.