27th February 1941.
View shows firemen inspecting the burnt out remains of Alwoodley Council School's temporary wooden building after it was gutted by a fire believed to have been started by a spark from a combustion stove. The fire broke out at lunchtime when only about 15 of the 160 pupils were on the premises plus about 4 staff including headmistress Miss Pimp. The children had finished their lunch and the staff were about to start theirs when it happened. Everyone got out safely but most of the equipment and possessions were destroyed. The school, on the corner of King Lane and Nursery Lane, had been built as a temporary structure four years earlier; after the pupils were housed at Alwoodley High School for a while another temporary wooden structure was built for them.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.