27th February 1941.
View shows firemen inspecting the remains of Alwoodley Council School following a fire which completely gutted it. The wooden building was a temporary structure at the corner of King Lane and Nursery Lane, built 4 years earlier to replace a more primitive building. The school had accommodated about 160 children up to the age of 11 but only about 15 were on the premises at the time as the fire broke out at lunchtime when most pupils had gone home for dinner. About 4 staff including headmistress Miss Pimp were also present. Children were told to leave school at once without bothering with outer clothes or gas masks, and all got out safely but the fire brigade could do little to save the building or its contents. The fire, which spread very quickly, was believed to have been started by a spark from a combustion stove in one of the classrooms.