View of Foundry Street showing part of the Round Foundry complex. This former engineering works was built in 1795-97 by James Fenton, Matthew Murray and David Wood with finance from William Lister. The firm of Fenton, Murray and Wood later became Fenton, Murray and Jackson. Matthew Murray in particular went on to great success as an engineer, producing the first commercially viable steam locomotive, the twin cylinder Salamanca, here in 1812. This was built for John Blenkinsop, manager of Middleton Colliery, utilising his rack and pinion system, and was used on the Middleton Railway, the world's oldest continuously working railway.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.