Early 1950s group portrait of the University of Leeds Natural History Society, thought to have been taken in University Road. The group is made up of students and staff including the Dean of the Faculty of Science and Professor of Zoology, Eric A. Spaul, Ph.D., D.Sc., Professor of Botany, Irene Manton, B.A., Sc.D., Ph.D., and lecturer in Botany, Reginald Dawson Preston, Ph.D. Professor Manton (1904-1988) is seated fourth from the left behind the front row. She is noted for her study of ferns and algae using the electron microscope and worked with R.D. Preston (1909-2000) who was a biophysicist. Between them they organised the purchase of one of the first Philips EM 100 microscopes for the Baines wing of the Botany Department of the University of Leeds. Other members of the group who can be identified are; P. Daniels, 2nd row from the front on the extreme left, A Wesley, 2nd row from the front, 6th from the left, J. Cronshaw, 2nd row from the front, 2nd in from the right, M. Rhodes, 3rd row from the front, 4th in from the right and D. Tunnington, back row, on the extreme right.