View of the Baines Wing, part of the University of Leeds in University Road. The Edward Baines Memorial Wing dates from 1883 and was built to the east of the Great Hall to the Gothic Revival style of Alfred Waterhouse (1830-1905.) It has three storeys and seven bays with a central tower, pitched slate roof and corner turrets. These buildings are amongst the oldest of the university and date from when it was originally the Yorkshire College. The Baines Wing housed the Chemistry, Physics, Biology and Engineering departments and also the Department of Plant Sciences. The building underwent a change of use in the late 1990s when it was renovated to accommodate the School of Healthcare which moved in in 1999. The building commemorates philanthropist Edward Baines (1800-1890).