View of Cottingley Hall photographed around 1900. It was demolished in 1947 to build the Cottingley Hall Estate and occupied a site on the west side of Elland Road (A643) between Churwell and Beeston. The hall is believed to date from the reign of Queen Elizabeth I when it belonged to the Clapham family. Christopher Hodgson, who became an alderman of Leeds, added a new wing in 1616 and there was a datestone above the front door, over the porch to mark this. His grandson, Captain John Hodgson was suspected of participation in the Presbyterian uprising known as the Farnley Wood Plot of 1663, and he was also a resident of Cottingley Hall. The preacher, John Wesley stayed at Cottingley Hall on two occasions as the guest of Mr. More. The first visit was recorded in his journal on the 1st June 1742 when he was preaching at Birstall in the evening where there was 'a multitude of people being gathered from all parts'. The second visit was when he was over 80 years old in the late 1700s. Later, Cottingley Hall became a farmstead and in the 19th century was occupied by Simeon Ellis and his family and then by the Entwhistles between 1914 and 1923. The foreman at that time was George Tupling. From about 1924 the Illingworth family farmed there and a plan of the buildings from 1930 shows the hall to have had 2 sitting rooms and a kitchen, with 3 bedrooms on the first floor. The outbuildings included outside toilets, a grainery over the stables, a dairy, cowshed, barn, hen house and hay rick yard. Passion flowers were grown in the greenhouse. When Cottingley Hall was demolished the old oak beams were preserved and Samuel Firth was commissioned to carve a cross and candlesticks from them for the new Cottingley Free Church which was erected in 1957.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.