Studio portrait of Joseph Bradbury with his three sons, from left to right, Frank, Roland and William. Roland, pictured in his Royal Naval uniform, was the founder of the successful pork butcher's business of J. Bradbury & Sons Ltd. with capital raised from his demob gratuity which he received at the end of the First World War. His father, Joseph, brought his skills as a butcher to the firm (he had recently been working for Wainwright's, later bought out by Bradbury's) and Roland's two brothers, Frank and William, joined at a later date. It was decided to name it J. Bradbury & Sons Ltd. for ease although it was essentially Roland's business from its very beginnings. The Kelly's Directory for 1947 shows that the business had expanded greatly over the years with many branches of Bradbury's throughout Leeds. They are listed in Dewsbury Road (the very first shop at number 241 which Roland purchased in 1919), Great George Street, Tong Road, Hyde Park Corner, County Arcade/Vicar Lane, Meanwood Road, Harehills Road, North Lane, Roundhay Road, Darfield Place, Balm Road, Stanningley Road, Bramley, Town Street, Stanningley and Middleton Park Circus. The meat processing factory was based at number 1 Flaxton View, Leeds 11 and later there was a farm at Yeadon. Eventually, there were 21 branches of Bradbury's. Roland Bradbury is listed in the 1947 directory as living at 'Colette', number 4 Otley Road, Bramhope. He was eventually to become President of the Pork Butchers' Association (Leeds). The photograph was taken in the studio of photographer, Mr. William Harrison of number 68 Meadow Road, Leeds 11.