Image shows Briggate and the junction with Boar Lane c1860s, before Boar Lane was widened between 1867 and 1869. It is from a sketch made c1880s by an unknown artist. Towards the left, with a canopy over the pavement is the linen drapery business of Daniel Pickard & Co. at number 30 Briggate. Next, at number 31 is the hosier, Richard Fenton followed by the tailor, John Thomas Beer at number 32, at the junction with Boar Lane. The covered wagon in Boar Lane shows just how narrow it was at that time as it takes up most of the road. The buildings shown on the left were demolished and the road widened to 66 feet. At the right edge is the shawl and mantel warehouse of Charles Pullan at number 33. A carriage pulled by a pair of horses turns into Boar Lane, which was a popular shopping street for the middle classes.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.