Glimpse through trees and shrubs to a nineteenth century residence known as Cookridge Tower situated near Otley Old Road off Hospital Lane. At the time of the photograph it was owned by the Sykes family who gave it the name of Cookridge Tower as Alfred Wilberforce Sykes built a single tower onto the property to house a billiard room for the use of his family. This was somewhere between 1867 and 1872. The 1867 Directory lists the property as 'The Manor House' and the Sykes family were in residence at that time. The house was built by James Fox c1861 who was an architect, surveyor and land agent. He called it Cookridge Lodge and the 1861 Census records him living there at the age of 43 with his Otley born wife, Harriet, sons, pupil architects and Leeds Rifleman Volunteers, Henry and Charles, aged 17 and 15 respectively, and daughter Annie, a scholar, aged 13. James Fox was born in Kirkham, Lancashire.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.