16th July 1894.
Image shows the stepped entrance to a nineteenth century residence known as Cookridge Tower, located near Otley Old Road, off Hospital Lane. At the time of the photograph it belonged to the Sykes famiy and it was Alfred Wilberforce Sykes who built the single tower to house a billiard room for his family. Prior to that Cookridge Tower had been named The Manor House (1867 Directory) and Cookridge Lodge when it was first built by architect, surveyor and land agent, James Fox c1861. A woman stands in the doorway wearing a maid or nurses uniform of long, white pinafore and starched cap. She wears a blouse with leg of mutton sleeves beneath her apron. The gentleman is seated in dressing gown and slippers. His left arm is supported in a sling. The people in the photograph have not been identified.