View of St. Hilda's Church seen from Cross Green Lane. The foundation stone for this church was laid on 4th September 1876 and it was consecrated on 18th September 1882. Designed by J.T. Micklethwaite, it cost £8,000 and provided seats for 300. The church was originally built as an additional place of worship for the parish of St. Saviour on Ellerby Road, as the population of the area was rapidly increasing at that time, but it later became a parish in its own right. It has long been associated with the Oxford Movement, who believed in the keeping of Catholic tradition within the Anglican church; its founder was one of the leaders of that movement, Dr. E.B. Pusey. Image courtesy of Paul Farnill.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.