This photograph was taken standing in the garden of 254 Dewsbury Road (former surgery of Mr. H.W. Freer Dental Surgeon) about the end of 1964. It is taken across Dewsbury Road looking north towards the city centre. The large area of pavement in the foreground was the queueing area for the Pavilion Picture House which had closed down long before (in 1956). The side road on the left with a man walking up it is Rowland Road, then beyond the wall is no.244 Dewsbury Road, an end terrace belonging to Mrs. Jane Stocks who owned a flower and greengrocers shop just out of shot on the right (her son Barrie Stocks later opened another further up the road). The shop with the clock (first on the right) was a children's and ladies wear shop called Edna Louise. It had been here for over a decade and was known for fitted suits and quality dresses and hats. After the junction with Tunstall Road is a parade of shops numbered (from right) 217 to 207 Dewsbury Road, which include a fresh bread shop selling pastries and 'foreign' breads, and a herbalist run by Mr. Joe Hogan. Also in the parade are Senior's Butchers, Servo, J. Coombes & Co. Ltd, shoe repairers and H. Seal Ltd., painters and decorators. Following on from these is a Mobil garage selling petrol and cars, then the Methodist Church. Photograph and information courtesy of Noel Freer.