This photo, taken in 1869 by A. Macaulay and reproduced by Leeds City Engineers in 1909, shows where the old Boar Lane ended and merged with West Bar. West Bar was one of six medieval boundaries of Leeds which were marked by bar stones in 1725. The building on the right is no.31 Boar Lane, opposite the junction with Mill Hill, which was formerly J. Norton, oyster dealer, but appears empty here and covered with advertising posters. Next to this is Dickinson's Yard where Goodyears Bakers is situated. The row of buildings to the left are addressed as West Bar. According to information provided by Leeds City Engineers they are Messrs. Kendell's Huggins, and Couldwells. Directories of the 1860s list John Kendell & Co., upholders, cabinet manufacturers and merchants at no.10, West Bar, Jno. Huggins, oyster dealer at no.11 and Joseph Couldwell, paper hanger at no.13 but all look closed down by this time, though the shop on the corner, believed to be no.13, is advertising a Great Sale of Electro-Plate Cutlery. By the time of an 1872 directory West Bar is not listed at all, so it seems likely that all these buildings had been demolished and the area redeveloped, with the expansion of Boar Lane into the area previously covered by West Bar.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.