View looking north-west along Leicester Place towards St. Mark's Church in the distance. On the right is the engineering works of George Bray & Co. Ltd. Founded in 1863, they became the largest employer in the Woodhouse area, manufacturing gas burners and electrical appliances. Among products developed here were a gas burner with a porcelain tip which proved more efficient than existing burners, and a draught-proof street lamp.The factory closed in the 1980s and the site was renovated into apartments.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.