Old view of the north side of Boar Lane, taken in 1869 by A. Macaulay and reproduced on 11th August 1909 by Leeds City Engineers. In the centre is the former oyster shop of John Norton at no.31, opposite the junction with Mill Hill, which is here almost entirely covered with advertising posters. These include adverts for Reckitts Starch, A. Megson's printing works on Briggate, R. Spence, grocers outfitter, of 15 Call Lane, Wallett(?), the Theatre Royal, Amphitheatre and various lectures; also a meeting at the Town Hall calling for the release of Irish political prisoners. To the left of no.31 is Dickinson's Yard while to the right is Albion Square. On the far left of the photo is no.13 West Bar, formerly Joseph Couldwell, paper hanger, who according to a notice has moved to Briggate; he is listed at no.159 Briggate in an 1872 directory. This building is possibly due for demolition as Boar Lane is expanded into the area formerly known as West Bar. On the far right is part of the premises of William Duncan Leslie, hatter, of 32 Boar Lane, while the taller building in the background is the warehouse of Richard Scholefield & Son, wool merchants, of Albion Square.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.