View of the Brown Cow Public House in Selby Road. This is the original inn which stood at the junction with Hollyshaw Lane. It was replaced by a new building in later years, built slightly further back from the junction. A Leeds Directory for the year 1932 lists Mawson Movley as Landlord of the Brown Cow and this photograph was once in his possession. The Brown Cow had stabling for 40 horses, and a horse drawn omnibus can be seen waiting outside. Farmers farming the Temple Newsam Estate met here at six monthly intervals, in June and December, to pay their rents when they also partook of a rent dinner. Several people are visible in the image. St. Mary's Church and grave yard are located on the opposite side of Selby Road to the Brown Cow.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.