Image shows a group portrait of 'C' Company's Scouting and Skirmishing Team, part of the 7th Battalion of the West Yorkshire Regiment (Leeds Rifles. They are pictured in front of a double doorway with their magnificent trophies. They were the winners of The Bingham Trophy, the enormous trophy seen centrally. It was manufactured in Sheffield in 1893 and is the largest piece of sterling silver hollow ware to be made at over three feet high and 11 feet in circumference. It cost £800 and was ordered by Colonel J.E. Bingham to be awarded to the winning Yorkshire Volunteers Battalion in the annual field-firing competition. The trophy disappeared from Brighouse Museum in the 1940s and has not been traced since. The team pictured are also the winners of the West Yorkshire Brigade Challenge Cup and the Robinson Cup, 1911 (a piece of plate worth £15 presented by Lieutenant Colonel Robinson). The soldiers are identified as; back row, from left to right, Rifleman J. Houston, Rifleman O. Smith (Reserve), Rifleman H. Walton. Middle Row, from left to right, Rifleman W. Lockwood, Lance Corporal F. Patrick, Corporal G. Stoyle, Rifleman A.P. Smith, Corporal J.P. Bartle. Front row, Lance Sergeant C. Schutz, Captain George E. St. C. Stockwell, Sergeant H. Schutz and finally Corporal P. Denbeigh. Several of these young men did not survive the Great War. The photograph is likely to have been taken outside Carlton Barracks in Carlton Hill, the home of the Leeds Rifles between 1887 and 1969.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.