View from Leeds Bridge looking downstream, east, to former warehouses on the River Aire. In the centre a stone built run of arches can be seen. These are all that remain of the Navigation Warehouse, built in 1827, after the building was destroyed by fire in the mid 1960s. Nowadays, the arches are restored and have been incorporated into a new build, Riverside Court, a complex of apartments. The area here was known as Warehouse Hill in the 18th century due to a much earlier warehouse that stood on the site. The Dutch trade in the 1700s also gave part of the site the name of 'Low Holland'. Towards the right-hand side is 'The Calls' and the tall warehouse at the right edge is the seven storey Sparrows Wharf building which is Grade II listed and dates from the early 19th century. It is numbered 30 to 34 The Calls and was converted in the 1990s to residential apartments known as Sparrows Wharf. The Aire Bar is located on the ground floor. It is interesting to contrast this 1970s image with a similar view taken in 2001, ID: 2012227_173299, to see how this part of the riverside has been regenerated in more recent years.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.