View shows Shadwell School for Boys on Shadwell Lane, taken during the 1960s when it was an approved school. Built in 1879, probably by R.L. Adams, Leeds School Board architect, it was originally Leeds Industrial School. Industrial schools were set up for children who were destitute and in danger of becoming criminals, to remove them from bad influences and teach them a trade, as opposed to Reformatories which were for children who had aleady committed serious crimes. In 1933 it became an approved school where young people could be sent by a court for committing offences but sometimes were just deemed beyond parental control, though were not seen as serious enough to go to Borstal. Most of the school outbuildings have since been demolished but the main building has survived and is now Grade II listed, though it was redeveloped c2003 as private
residential apartments, part of Stoneleigh Court, which also includes some new build.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.