Brandon Villa was one of the first houses to be built on a piece of land formerly known as Old Wigtons. The four and a half acre site is triangular in shape and is situated between Main Street and Holywell Lane. In 1864 the land was divided into 20 lots and sold. Brandon Villa was originally named Brandon Cottage until the name was changed when it became the property of gentleman, Harvey Taylor. On the reverse side of th photograph the name of Fredk. W. Rhodes, Architect and Surveyor of Upper Wortley, near Leeds is stamped. In 1961 part of the grounds were sold to build modern housing. Courtesy of Shadwell Local History Society.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.