8th November 2013.
Image shows the new Blue Plaque on the wall of Headingley Carnegie Stadium at Headingley Rugby Ground, unveiled on the 8th November 2013. It was organised by Leeds Civic Trust in association with Leeds Rugby Foundation Heritage Committee. The plaque reads as follows; "Headingley Rugby Ground has been in constant use since 1890, the first game being Leeds v Manningham on 20th September. It was the venue for the first Challenge Cup Final, Batley v St. Helens, on 24th April 1897. The first ever Test Match between the Northern Union and New Zealand All Golds was played here on 25th January 1908". The unveiling ceremony was performed by New Zealand team manager Tony Iro on the day that New Zealand beat Papua New Guinea in their final group game of the Rugby League World Cup.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.