Image shows two brothers in uniform, Gilbert Stone (right) of the 2nd Battalion, Coldstream Guards, and William Frederick Stone of the RAF, outside the family home, Scurrs House. This was situated at the back of what later became Parkside School, along a track that ran parallel to Middleton Woods. By 1930 the house had been divided into two dwellings and was renamed Parkside Cottages. In the garden a deep well cut through a coal seam. At the side of the house was a small lean-to shop selling sweets and tobacco, run by Mrs. Ada Stone, mother to the two brothers pictured. The house, which was demolished in the 1960s to make way for the Southleigh estate, had been the scene of a horrific crime in the 17th century, when Leonard Scurr, the occupier of the house, was brutally murdered along with his elderly mother and a maidservant, by a gang led by two men named Holroyd and Littlewood. The men were eventually caught and Holroyd was executed on Holbeck Moor in 1682.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.