Undated. Image shows the Pack Horse Inn and yard, looking eastward towards Briggate. The yard was accessed through an archway at number 56 Briggate, and passing through the archway on the right of the image, led out towards Lands Lane. This part of the town centre contained a network of yards, some dating from the 13th century. The Pack Horse Inn was believed to be the oldest surviving inn in the city centre, having been previously named the Nags Head from 1615, and the Ship Inn from 1770. The old building was demolished in 1988, and a new one built on the site in 1989. A Templar cross can be seen on the building, meaning it was originally part of the Manor of Whitkirk, and owned by the order of St John of Jerusalem, successors to the Knights Templar.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.