View shows a class of midwifery students at St. Mary's Hospital, taken on the grass outside the hospital which is situated on Green Hill Road. The students include Ruth Taylor, a farmer's daughter from Westmorland, who is sixth from the left in the middle row. The hospital was originally built as Bramley Union Workhouse in 1871-72. It became known as St. Mary's in 1948; by that time it had been training midwives for 20 years and had 106 maternity beds. The maternity department closed in the late 1970s and the hospital now concentrates on mental health and learning disability services.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.