c1950s. View shows the east side of Thorpe Hall, on Middleton Lane, Lofthouse. It was built in 1735 by Medcalf Proctor, replacing an older building that existed on the site since around 1596, but work on the top floor was never fully completed. Over the years the hall has also been occupied by the Gascoigne, Leigh, and Ingram families, and colliery owner William Fenton was also a tenant. In the 1911 Census it was occupied by William Armitage, quarry owner, and a 1917 Trade Directory lists a William Boyle, farmer. The building was Grade 2 listed in 1964, and in 2006 was placed on the English Heritage Buildings at Risk Register as being at risk of decay. It is still derelict at present.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.