1950s. Image shows a house under construction on the Oulton Coal Board estate on Wakefield Road. Construction began in 1953 on land bought from the Calverley family, on which 214 'Airey' type prefab houses were built, providing quickly assembled houses intended to last a few decades. By the 1990s, only two streets, Wordsworth Drive and Sugar Hill Close remained, the rest of the estate having been developed.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.