1950s. View shows the Coal Board Estate, off Wakefield Road and opposite Oulton Park, under construction. The land was bought by the NCB from the Calverley family in the early 1950s, and in 1953 construction started on 214 'Airey' type prefab houses. These were made of concrete panels, were quick to assemble, and had a lifespan of a few decades. By the 1990s only 70 remained, on Wordsworth Drive and Sugar Hill Close, the rest of the estate having been redeveloped. A campaign in 2017 has seen resistance against redevelopment of the remaining streets.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.