Undated. Image shows a portrait of George Armitage (1814-1891) of Armitage & Sons Brickworks and Quarries. There were several sons named George across the generations, but this is thought to be George son of John Armitage, who joined with other stonemasons in 1824 to work a quarry at Robin Hood. In 1864 George established George Armitage & Sons Quarries, and also began brick making. The company expanded to several locations in the surrounding area, and in 1988 was sold to Marshalls of Halifax, and then on to Hanson Group.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.