View shows Cross Church Street Working Men's Club, situated on Victoria Avenue. It is thought to have been started sometime before 1900 by gardeners J. Lassy, H. Spence and W. Moody, in a greenhouse in the California Gardens allotments behind the Nelson public house. Official records began in 1900 when it moved to Cross Church Street and was initially known as North Ward WMC before becoming Cross Church Street WMC in 1901. The present club building seen here was built in 1910, after the club committee bought the land on which it is situated. Despite no longer being in Cross Church Street, members voted at a General Meeting to retain the name.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.