c1904. Image shows what is thought to be the first of three pairs of jawbones situated on Wood Lane; the view here looks east. They were brought from America in the nineteenth century by the Fenton family, local colliery and land owners, and sited as gateposts to their house in Woodhouse Hill. When the house was sold, the jawbones were relocated to the corner of Wood Lane and the Leeds to Wakefield Road. in 1904 the land was bought by the Electric Tramway Company, and the bones re-sited to the north of the junction, over the footpath, and used as a lamp standard, as seen here. The jawbones were twice knocked down by a car and replaced, with the most recent pair bought by Rothwell Urban District Council in 1967, and sited in their current position on the south side of the junction, facing north-south.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.