Undated. Image shows North Lodge, gatehouse to Swillington Park, and on the main Garforth to Wakefield road. A tree-lined avenue led down to Swillington Hall, home to the Lowther family since 1665. The hall, estate, and collieries owned by the Lowthers were sold to colliery company Bowers in 1920. Bowers subsequently undermined the area, causing subsidence, and the hall fell derelict and was demolished in 1952. North Lodge is still present, and the park now contains fishing lakes ans an organic farm.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.