1904. Image shows the decorations for Christmas Day in the main dining hall of Rothwell Workhouse, to the south of Wood Lane, before serving of Christmas dinner. The workhouse was built in 1900, and opened in 1903, to serve the Hunslet & District Poor Law Union, of which Rothwell was a part. It became St George's Hospital in the 1930s, with the prominent tower being a local landmark. The hospital closed in 1991, and the area is now a modern housing estate, with the tower still remaining at its centre.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.