Undated. View of the main entrance to Oulton Hall, which was probably in use as a mental hospital when this photograph was taken.
Oulton Hall was the home of the Calverley family, and was built in 1855 by John Calverley after a fire in 1850 destroyed the previous building. After his death in 1900, the family did not live there again, and during WW1 it was used as a hospital and convalescent home. In 1925 it was sold to West Riding Council, and from 1928 to 1972 it was in use as a mental hospital. In 1974 the hall was bought by West Yorkshire Police, with plans to convert it to their headquarters, bit due to lack of resources, this never took place. The hall was bought by DeVere Hotels in 1991, who undertook a £20 million restoration to a five star hotel, with gardens, golf course and spa.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.