25th November 1948.
View shows the front of Scott Hall, a large mid eighteenth century house, built in brown hand-made bricks, with an outbuilding on the left. This is a rare example of the type of plain house built by Leeds merchants during that period and it is now Grade II listed. The central entrance was altered in the twentieth century. The property is located off Scott Hall Street but the original Scott Hall was sited in Potternewton, south of Potternewton Lane near where Scott Hall Place is now. This had been the home of the Scott family with ancestral roots in Scotland. Gilbert Scott, who died in 1542 was Lord of the Manor of Potternewton. The last of the line was William Scott, a farmer. After he died the Hall was demolished and extensive quarrying was carried out on the site. The stone was used to construct many Leeds buildings. When the quarries were worked out, they were filled in and a large part of the area is now the Prince Philip Playing Fields. When the A61 road was laid through in the 1930s, it was named Scott Hall Road as a reminder of the former land use. The Scott Hall in the photograph is still standing and has recently been for advertised for sale.