24th October 1945.
View shows a pair of semi-detached houses on the corner of Spen Road and Darnley Road, off Otley Road. In the foreground no. 3 Spen Road has a spire and bay windows. A sculpture is visible over the front door. Behind this is no. 2 Darnley Road, which was once the residence of J. R. R. Tolkien, author of "The Lord of the Rings" and "The Hobbit". According to a directory of 1925, he was living here while a professor of English Language at the University of Leeds. He had previously resided at 11 St. Mark's Terrace off Woodhouse Lane (1923 directory).