Image shows the entrance to the Horse and Jockey Hotel at number 48 Commercial Street when the proprietor was J. Robertshaw. The public house dated from 1744 but was later replaced by the Mitre Hotel, built by Henry Child (1850 to 1921) and designed by Thomas Winn in 1899. At the left edge is signage for Smeeton's Draper and a Milliner, which may have been Katie Cowman's, also addressed as 48 Commercial Street (Slater's Directory of Leeds, 1890). At the right edge, at number 46, is a jeweller's with various items of jewellery on display in the window of the single storey building. The proprietor's name is C.H. Robshaw. From Mr Brown's album on photographs of old Leeds and also Wormald's Old Views of Leeds. The photograph was taken by Wormald of Leeds.