Leeds Library & Information Services
LIC Briggate 14 (browsing neg no 37) & Wormald, Old Leeds Views, part 2, no.23, SRF 914.2819 WOR & also in Old Leeds Views, Part 1, Page 16, SRF 914.2819 WOR
View of the east side of Briggate, showing the entrance to Wood Street, where the two men can be seen chatting towards the left. This was shortly to be redeveloped and the scheme, when it was discussed in the Leeds Mercury in 1896, was expected to cost £300,000. It involved reconstructing and widening Wood Street, from Briggate to Vicar Lane, to 36 feet, removing the arches at each end and creating 12 shops, an arcade, which at that time was to be called the Imperial Arcade, and a Palace of Varieties. The locality was to become the site of the County Arcade and the Empire Theatre. At the left edge is Anderson Brothers, shoemakers, at number 104 Briggate, then, with the sun canopy, is Joe Milnes, tobacconist at 105. Next is Parkers Temperance Hotel, straddling the entrance to Wood Street, with a doorway to the right of the archway. Parker's Restaurant serves chops and steaks from the grill, breakfasts and luncheons. Beyond Parker's there is a flurry of activity where a small crowd has gathered. It was the 'last day' of an exhibition (wording illegible), admission, one penny. This may have been an exhibition showing the proposed development of the area. The large poster on the far right appears to be announcing the new scheme. As well as Parker's, another restaurant at number 109 is that of John Gledhill,'Gledhill's Dining Rooms', also serving chops and steaks. Photography by Wormald of Leeds.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.