c1910. Photo Mattison. Erected in 1628 by Thomas Metcalfe, it was the first red brick house in the town centre. Charles 1 stayed here in 1646. Later The Red House was the home of Richard Thornton the 'Recorder of Leedes' and then of Henry Ibbetson (Mattison A and Meakin W 1908 The Romance of Old Leeds. Used as a Rover car showroom at the time of this photograph. Purchased by the Schofield family in 1912 and restored. Demolished in the 1960s as Schofield's store was redeveloped.