c.1892. Yards off Back High Street looking east. Backs of brick built terraced houses. A man in shirt sleeves looks towards the camera. Houses demolished by the Corporation 1890-1902.
"Despite its pretentious name High Street was composed wholly of two-storey back-to-back houses with tunnels leading to interior courtyards, and many stood over separate cellar dwellings of one room approached directly from the street by steps. This high population density and the airless, crowded back courts made High Street an early target for sanitary reformers and the properties were acquired by the Corporation for eventual clearance as part of the Insanitary Area of Quarry Hill."
Prof M.W. Beresford, Lantern Slide Leeds, Thoresby Society Occasional Publication, 198?.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.