Burley Bar, the south-west corner of Albion Street and Guildford Street. A photograph by Alf Mattison. There are shops and advertising hoardings and a postman delivering letters. The 'Yorkshire Evening Post' noted in 1922, 'It was to the top of Merry Boys Hill that the westward limit of the town proper extended, the boundary beng marked by Burley Bar. This fact is proclaimed to this day in the existence of the boundary stone in the wall of one of the old fashioned shops opposite the Commercial Hotel, on which can still be descried the faint lettering 'Burley Bar'. The five 'one decker' shops are probably 200 years of age, and within Butts Court are several bits of property no less ancient.' The tobacconist's was owned by George Eastwood, to the right was Ernest Swaine, watchmaker, then the beerhouse of Walter Prestage Pilling, rather oddly described in the directory as a beer retailer and confectioner, then James Easby's fruit shop. The whole site was obtained for £42,500 by the Leeds and Holbeck Building Society in 1924, for the building of its new headquarters.