Front view of Headingley Castle off Headingley Lane. Headingley Castle was originally set in 22 acres. It was built on land bought from Barbara Marshall and designed in the early 1840s by architect John Child for wealthy corn merchant Thomas England Esq. Child's design employs fire-proofing construction techniques and makes extensive use of cast-iron. Minor alterations were made to the fabric in the late 1860s. The Tudor-Gothic villa had also been known as "The Elms". In 1866, the estate was purchased by cloth merchant and property developer Arthur Lupton (1809-1889). Arthur had married Jane Crawford that year. The Luptons of Leeds were landed gentry; a political and business dynasty. The family had been landowners in the Leeds area since the 18th century. Arthur Lupton also owned the Newton Park Estate in Potternewton from the 1840s, selling it to his brothers, Francis and Darnton Lupton in 1870. By the 1930s, the Newton Park Estate had become the largest private housing enterprise in Leeds. By 1909, Headingley Castle was the home of millionaire Frank Harris Fulford (1868-1943), the antiquarian and owner of the Bile Bean Manufacturing Co. Leeds. A founder member of Leeds Art Collections Fund, Fulford was also a collector of Chinese jade and other Objet d'art. He gifted several items to be displayed in the Blue Drawing Room at the Temple Newsam museum in 1939. Fulford died at Headingley Castle, Leeds, in August 1943. The house was converted into a school for the blind by the 1960s but this had closed by 1993. Headingley Castle's description is taken from - Historic building report: Headingley Castle, Headingley Lane, Leeds; - published by the Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England, Swindon : National Monuments Record Centre, August 1996. The building was offered for sale by Leeds City Council Development Agency in 2000
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.