June 1967. Front view of Headingley Castle off Headingley Lane.
Headingley Castle was originally set in 22 acres. It was built on land bought from Barbara Marshall and designed in 1840 by architect John Child for wealthy corn merchant Thomas England Esq. Child's design employs fire-proofing construction techniques and makes extensive use of cast-iron. Minor alterations were made to the fabric in the late 1860s. The Tudor-Gothic villa was originally known as "The Elms". From 1866, the estate was the family home of Unitarian minister Arthur Lupton (1817-1881). The Luptons of Leeds were landed gentry; a political and business dynasty. Arthur's family built surrounding houses along the Spring Road border of the Headingley Castle estate.
Arthur's son was Professor Sir Arnold Lupton (1846-1930) - mining engineer, academic, pacifist and a Member of Parliament (MP). He was a member of the Order of St John. In 1906, Professor Lupton (of Mining Engineering at Leeds University), was elected as the Member of Parliament for the Sleaford division of Lincolnshire.
As a Liberal politician, Lupton had a commitment to Free Trade. During World War One, he was suspected by Conservative politician Sir George Cockerill of "being in the pay of Germany". The press had reported concerns that Lupton had benefitted financially ("Trading with the Enemy Act"), courtesy of his mining syndicates, and that he was also running an espionage ring.
Lupton's pacifist activities included speaking at the 1917 Leeds Convention and the printing and distribution of anti-war pamphlets. Breaching the regulations of the "Defence of the Realm Act 1914" resulted in his prosecution and a subsequent jail sentence, the justice of which was debated in the House of Commons. In February 1918, The New York Times reported that Lupton had been sentenced to six months imprisonment. A jail sentence was also the fate of his comrade - fellow pacifist and philosopher, Bertrand Russell.
By 1909, Headingley Castle was the home of millionaire Frank H. Fulford (1868-1943), the antiquarian and owner of the Bile Bean Manufacturing Co. Leeds. The house was converted into a school for the blind c1970 but this closed in 1993. Headingley Castle's description is taken from - Historic building report: Headingley Castle, Headingley Lane, Leeds. - published by the Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England, Swindon : National Monuments Record Centre, August 1996. The building was offered for sale by Leeds City Council Development Agency in 2000.