29th May 1935.
View shows a small dog standing in front of a lodge which is numbered as 259 Harrogate Road. This was once the lodge at the entrance of a substantial house called Keldholme, numbered as 261 Harrogate Road. (In the Leeds Directory of 1906 the lodge was numbered 27, the home of coachman, James Dennis. By 1932 it became number 97 and was occupied by a gardener, Herbert Pickup.) Nowadays, the former lodge is a Hair & Beauty Salon, proprietor, John Kinsey. The approach to Keldholme was accessed to the right of the lodge, off camera. Keldholme is still standing and is part of a development of flats called Kingsway Court, which includes a series of apartment blocks that were built in the grounds of the big house. The complex is named after the Kingsway cinema which was built in the adjoining grounds, belonging to Allerton Lodge, in 1937, two years after the date of this photograph. The high stone wall encloses the grounds of Allerton Lodge where trees are visible. To the left of the lodge in the image is a service drive to Allerton Lodge which still exists today. A sign behind the wall advertises the Leeds School of Riding. The Kingsway Cinema closed down in 1958 and the building was converted to the New Vilna Synagogue which opened in the September of 1959. Eventually, when the synagogue moved elsewhere, the vacant building caught fire and had to be demolished. The site is now that of Beechwood Court, a complex of flats. At the right edge, Hope House can be seen near to the junction with Falklands Mount and the entrance to Allerton Lodge.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.