October 1913. View of an old petrol electric bus at Shadwell. It was manufactured by Tilling Stevens and the registration number is U 2379 (the name Tilling Stevens can be seen on the bonnet). These buses were fitted with a petrol engine which was used to drive a dynamo which, in turn, fed an electric motor driving the wheels. Their maximum permitted speed was 12 mph. The number plates for these buses were issued between January 1904 and October 1929. The bus in this photograph was used on the route from Shadwell to the Leeds tram teminus at Moortown. From information provided by Chris Youhill; 'The Tilling Stevens chassis was new, but the body had been removed from an earlier Ryknield bus, U 327'. Further information comes from 'Leeds Transport Volume 2' by J. Soper and was sent in by Paul Haywood. It states that the Leeds City Tramways body could seat 24 passengers and it was 'transferred from an older bus dating from 1907. It was registered in 1913 and withdrawn from service in 1919. However, it served as an ambulance between 1915 and 1917. After withdrawal, its body was transferred to yet another bus and the chassis was scrapped in 1926.' He also says that the Moortown to Shadwell route was one of the first tramway feeder services to be introduced by Leeds. At the time of writing (February, 2015) this picture is to feature in the Shadwell local history magazine, 'Shadwell Histories'.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.