3th June 1930.
A photograph of June 1930 which shows Schofields on either side of the Cock and Bottle, but before the store took over the whole of Victoria Arcade. The L-shaped arcade was designed in 1898 by Thomas Ambler and named to celebrate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee; it connected Upperhead Row with Lands Lane. The glazed roofs of the two arms of the arcade met in a glass dome, and the archway in Upperhead Row, decorated in faience, was topped with an image of Queen Victoria. Snowden Schofield came from Liverpool to see an old colleague, H.G. Shipman, who had his own menswear business in the shop to the left of the Victoria Arcade entrance on Upperhead Row; he persuaded Schofield to take the shop on the opposite corner. The shop was opened on 4 May 1901; its official histories note that the takings for the first day were £62 3s 4½d.,
'£43 10s. of which was in gold'. Within the next 5 years Schofield extended into several other shops in the arcade, and then more than doubled the size of the shop by moving into Red Hall. In the early 1920's he acquired the courtyard and Headrow frontage, and then built the first and second floors of a new extension at the back of the Red Hall between 1930 and 1931. The old Hippodrome was taken over for workshop and warehouse space in 1934. In 1938 he acquired the Cock and Bottle, and in 1947 the whole of Victoria Arcade. He died on 24th March 1949. In 1961, the whole site was redeveloped into a new Schofields store. Developed again since into Schofields Centre, Schofields having ceased to trade. The Cock and Bottle, thought to be around 200 years old, was a coaching inn from where coaches departed to Yeadon and Ilkley. It was sold to Schofields in 1938 and demolished for store expansion. In the foreground is the site of the new Lewis's store.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.