13th June 1930
On left is Briggate. From the left, Burtons menswear shop, then Horse and Trumpet public house. Then the entrance for the Leeds City Varieties, the theatre is out of view in alley. Next block is known as Thorntons Buildings. Built by Charles Thornton, landlord of the White Swan public house (out of view next to City Varieties) in 1873 possibly to the design of George Smith, architect of the City Varieties and Thorntons Arcade. To the right of City Varieties entrance, no 57 is Bells Ltd jewellers. No 59 is Owen and Robinson, pawn brokers and fancy goods - three balls sign can be seen above shop. All the cleared site in the fore front is for the new Lewis's store.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.